Sunday, August 29, 2010

Holocaust Service Learning Trip

Last year I went on a trip to Poland as a part of the Holocaust Studies Service Learning Program at Albion College. During the trip I wrote a journal to document some of the journey as well as record some of my thoughts about each day. It has taken me some time to get this journal posted because the trip itself had such a lasting impact on my life. Much of it was difficult to rewrite, because of the emotions that the story carried with it. It is my hope that you will learn from what I have written and maybe be moved to explore the Holocaust more yourself.
My fiance, Mallory, was talking to me the other day about something she saw at work and how that simple thing brought back a flood of memories from the trip and she couldn't help but think about the horrors of the Holocaust. We cannot see much of what is common place in our life the same. That trip and the education that came with it, changed us forever. Ignorance is not bliss, it is a curse upon the future of humanity. I pray that you will join me in longing to be changed, to have our eyes opened. I pray that the world would see the relationship we all share and that the "other" would be forever erased to become neighbor, friend, family, brother and sister.
To view my journal, look over to the right hand side of the page (blog archive) and click on May, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment