Sunday, May 10, 2009

Unfair and Unjust

Since I heard about, and was accepted into the Holocaust Service Learning Project, I have anxiously awaited this trip. I say anxious because my emotions were both excited and nervous. I was excited for the opportunity to be a part of something larger than myself and I was nervous about how the reality of it all would affect me. When I finally got here my mind had some catching up to do, as overnight flights tend to be somewhat draining. As I was walking back from the Rynek, Mallory said something that jump started my mind. She said she felt strange walking where thousands of people should have walked and where countless more may have existed and lived out their lives. She mentioned how unfair it seemed that she would be able to be there, and they not. She wondered how she should be feeling about all of that. This got me thinking about the enormity of the tragedy that happened around us. I'm sure that will be more fully fleshed out as the week continues. She brings an interesting perspective. As I continued walking I could picture people on their way to a kosher market, or walking to/from synagogue. I can imagine a thriving Jewish population, plenty of people living out their faith, living their lives, and all having precious worth. However, the reality is clear. There remain only several hundred Jews here now, and they are a declining demographic. That reality hits me hard. To answer Mallory's question; I think that, at the present time, in the big picture; no, it is not fair. However, the individual can wield a great deal of power in the long run. While the fact that there are countless fewer lives on this earth because of the Holocaust is in no way fair or just, there is hope for tomorrow. I am surrounded by a group of people who are not only willing to listen and learn, but also reflect on themselves, and do their part to make the world a better place. Because of them, countless lives may be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment